Many people can have an occasional drink and stop after one or two while attending a social event or unwinding after a long day. There are; however, a larger majority of people that are unable to drink in moderation and cannot simply stop.
Over drinking can lead to problems in your life when it comes to relationships, work, and sometimes legal issues. Excess drinking can also cause your judgment to be impaired, increasing the chance for you to make dangerous decisions, which could potentially harm or even kill someone.
WHAT ARE THE WARNING SIGNS OF A DRINKING PROBLEM?
If you, or someone you care about, is showing any of the following signs, there may be an alcohol problem that needs help.
- Not being able to drink in moderation, or if you are unable to stop at all
- Needing to drink more to reach previous level of effect
- Spending more time recovering than usual after drinking
- Not being able to cut back or quit drinking altogether
- When you stop drinking, you get sick, anxious, sweaty, or shaky.
- Giving up your favorite activities so that you can drink instead
- You find yourself hiding your drinking from others
- Friends and family are approaching you about your drinking with concerns about your well-being
- Continuing to drink more even though alcohol is the main cause of your current problems
If you find yourself drinking too much too often, then this can lead to a serious addiction. You may even be able to go weeks without a drink, but could still have a problem with alcohol, as a stressful day or bad incident could possibly trigger a domino effect causing you to fall back into a heavier drinking mode.
WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ALCOHOL?
Family members and friends will most likely be the first to approach you about a possible problem you may have. They can also be the best ones to turn to in your time of need, as they know you better than anyone else and they can help to guide you through the difficult time ahead with love and support.
Take advantage of any resource you have available to you. Take the step and make the right connections to get you back on the right track and on the way to living a clean, sober, and fulfilling life.
Contact us @ (561) 328-8627 to find out more information regarding our alcohol detox program(s)!