Here Are the Signs That You or a Loved One Might Need Help
The first step to solving a problem with alcohol or drug abuse is recognizing that it exists. Dr. Gary Stollman, Ph.D., is a psychotherapist who helps people overcome self-defeating behavioral patterns. He recently shared with the readers of drphil.com 10 key behavioral signs that a person needs help with an addiction problem:
1) Consistent failure to resist impulses.
2) Frequent displays of those behaviors – and to a greater extent or over a longer period of time than intended.
3) A persistent desire to stop, as well as a consistent pattern of unsuccessful efforts to stop, those behaviors.
4) Devoting an inordinate amount of time obtaining the object of the addiction … or engaging in or recovering from the destructive behavior over and over.
5) Preoccupation with the behavior, including preparatory activities.
6) A frequent foregoing of occupational, academic, domestic or social obligations, in favor of a destructive behavior.
7) An inability to stop or control a behavior, despite the acknowledgement that it can/will have destructive effects on social, academic, financial, psychological or physical endeavors.
8) The need to increase the intensity, frequency, number or risk of the destructive behaviors to achieve the desired effect. Also, the diminished effect with continued behaviors at the same level of intensity, frequency, number or risk.
9) Avoiding or eliminating social, occupational or recreational activities because of the behavior.
10) Lapsing into moods marked by distress, anxiety, restlessness or violence when the behavior isn’t engaged.
If a majority of these signs seem too familiar to you or to a loved one, Dr. Stollman – and, for that matter, Dr. Phil, too – recommend that you seek quality, professional treatment as soon as possible.
The Haven Detox was founded to offer solutions to anyone who has put a check next to any of the items on the list above. In a nutshell, The Haven is the best step a person dealing with substance abuse issues can take to begin the journey of recovery.
The Haven Detox staff members not only can sympathize with what an addict is going through, in many cases they can empathize, after having won their own battles with drug and alcohol issues and learning tried-and-true treatment procedures that lead to a lasting recovery and a healthy, sober life.
The Haven Detox offers an exceptional medical detox program, tailored specifically to meet an individual’s recovery needs. It follows up the initial regimen with aftercare options that are designed to make sure recovery is a life-long endeavor.
Indeed, being able to check that box could be the most important thing you ever do.
To learn more about The Haven Detox or to talk to a counselor today, call (561) 328-8627, or visit The Haven Detox.